My children are notorious for last minute notices when it comes to school projects and also for signing me up for everything! I have had phone calls to cook 6 pounds of beans for a fall festival, bake a million cupcakes and donate double snacks for class parties. I love my children!
While I am on my drive home from work, I get the phone call from my son that I will need to help him bake an Australian themed Christmas dessert by tomorrow. Mind you, we live on a ranch, 45 minutes from the nearest H-E-B or Wal-Mart. A trip to the local Dollar Store will have to do and fingers crossed they have what I need.
I stood there in the baking aisle of the Dollar Store in small town USA quickly browsing Pinterest for a suitable dish. I chose the simplest & quickest recipe then put my own spin on it!
- 2 cups of cherry pie filling
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 package Cream Cheese – Cut in cubes
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons of powder sugar
- Mix cherry pie filling & 1/4 cup granulated sugar into bowl
- spread mix evenly into a baking pan
- Top evenly with cubed cream cheese
- Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly all over
- Pour melted butter evenly on top of dry cake mix
- Bake 55 minutes at 350°
- Cool 10 minutes once done, sprinkle powdered sugar before serving
It took a total of 10 minutes prep time, 55 minutes to bake. I used (4) 7×5 inch leftover baking pans from the dollar store so that there was no need for cleanup and return. I doubled up on ingredients to serve 26 students & 2 teachers.